One of my favorite sections on SimilarWeb PRO is one that many of our users miss. This is why I’ve decided to write a post about it and reveal the amazing insights on offer. The section is called ‘Audience Interests’ and it’s located under the ‘Website Audience’ tab. I’ll give a short explanation about this section and then move on to the juicy stuff.
What is the Audience Interests section?
In ‘Audience Interests’, we show the websites which were visited, in the same browsing session, before and after the domain you’re analyzing. For example, I may open my browser, go to Facebook, then Twitter, then Amazon, then eBay and close my browser. Running an analysis for Amazon.com using SimilarWeb PRO, will show Facebook, Twitter and eBay in the ‘Audience Interests’ domains table.
Another cool piece of data is the tags area – this shows you the top tags for each domain visited within the same session as the analyzed domain.
Finding Hidden Trends
So, how can these traffic statistics help you identify online trends and tailor specific campaigns towards consumers? Let’s say I’m a Cosmetics online retailer, what I’ll do is:
1. Run an analysis on a known Cosmetics domain – E.g. clinique.com
2. Go to the ‘Audience Interests’ section
3. Export the data I find in the Domains table
4. Go over the list, which is already sorted by Affinity level (the level of relevancy to the analyzed domain)
5. Filter the direct relevant categories. In this case it would be:
- Beauty and Fitness/Beauty
- Beauty and Fitness/Cosmetics
- Beauty and Fitness
- Beauty and Fitness/Skin Care
6. Extract the relevant data which will guide me in selecting the brands and products I want to include and prioritize in my eCommerce Cosmetics shop.
Here’s the list of domains which were visited by users, in the same browser session, prior to landing on Clinique.com and which belong in the ‘Beauty and Fitness/Cosmetics’ category:
7. Do the same for other categories which are related to the Cosmetics world. In this case, I would include the following categories:
- Shopping/Home _and _Garden
- Health/Products _and _Shopping
- People _and Society/Women’s Interests
- Health/Healthcare Industry
- Health/Women’s Health
- Health/Conditions and Diseases
This list of domains may not give you direct cosmetics brands ideas, but it will give you an idea about your target audience, what interests it and what else this audience is shopping for.
This information will serve you for:
- Placing ads on your website
- Writing relevant content in your blog
- Including additional products in your online store which your consumers might be interested in
I think you’re starting to get the idea here.
As you can see, the ‘Audience Interests’ section on SimilarWeb PRO gives valuable insights which are missing from other analytics platforms. This is only the tip of the iceberg. There are many other special uses and hacks this section holds.
Sharing is Caring
Interested to share your own SimilarWeb PRO hack? Send us your insight and, if it’s interesting, we’ll include it in our blog, together with details of the Company or person that shared it with us.