Reality Porn, the Latest Online Craze

Pornography and reality television are two huge forces in the digital world, and take up a ton of space online. In their newest venture, porn site xHamster has now combined the 2 and the results, so far, are extremely positive.

The Sex Factor, aired its first episode online on Thursday, May 19th and it was an instant digital success. Over the 3 day period from May 19-21, the site amassed 1,846,000 worldwide visits on both desktop and mobile web. Traffic to the show’s domain sexfactor.com came mostly on desktop, with mobile web accounting for only 24% of visits over the period from April 27th to May 24th.

Now, you may be asking yourself: how did this show become instantly popular? 

As mentioned, Sex Factor is produced by xHamster, which as of April 2016, is the 3rd largest porn website in the world. In April, xHamster had over 700 million visits, 56% of which came via desktop. Of this desktop traffic, only 17.4% was from the US, while over 200 other countries and territories accounted for the other 82.6%. Clearly xHamster is an international force to be reckoned with.

It should come as no surprise then, that the majority of traffic to sexfactor.com arrived via referral traffic and the majority of referral traffic came from xHamster. 

On desktop, referrals accounted for 56% of visits to the site, far more than direct, social, or organic search. Of these referral links, 81.5% were directly from xHamster, though over 100 other domains sent referral traffic to the reality show’s domain.

Like its parent site, The Sex Factor’s traffic is also heavily international, with only 20% coming from the United States. In fact, 19 other countries made up at least 1% of the traffic share, with the United Kingdom and Poland claiming second and third place. Of the countries that accounted for at least 1%, Thailand had the longest average time on site with 4 minutes and 50 seconds, while India had the lowest bounce rate at only 35%.

This new reality porn show is a clear digital success story and comes as a time when the adult industry is pivoting to new directions. Several months ago we wrote about the rise of virtual reality porn, and since then, vr porn sites have only grown in popularity. 

The largest of these sites, badoinkvr.com launched in July 2015, and began their traffic surge in early 2016. Between January and February, the site grew 1083% rising from 695,000 monthly visits to 8,221,000. Collectively, over Q1, the site amassed 23,589,000 visits, of which an astonishing 93% came via mobile web. 

Another vr porn site, virtualrealporn.com also saw impressive growth over Q1 2016 as the site raked in over 4 million visits in from January to March. When compared to Q1 2015, this represents a 224% increase in traffic, showing once again that the vr porn craze is not just a trend.

 
In order to keep up with these new digital realities, porn sites need to adapt their online approach and can use SimilarWeb data to discover, decided, and deploy an effective digital strategy. To learn more about SimilarWeb and to try a demo, contact us here.

(image taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eijxsGOKiqo)

About the Author -

Joseph is a Digital Insights and Content Manager at SimilarWeb. He has experience in content writing, social media, and analytics. When not tracking digital trends and creating online content, Joseph enjoys hiking, basketball, pickling, and Canadian alternative music.

Discover the secrets of online success

Comments